with industry professionals
We run at least six workshops a year, often more, inviting a wide range of fantastic guest professionals along to engage and enlighten us in topics including…
• The nuts and bolts of scriptwriting
• Writing for specific genres
• Writing for different media
• Adapting others' stories for stage or screen
• Presenting your work and getting commissioned
• Working as a script editor or a staff writer
Workshops are usually held on Saturdays at a central location in Leeds from 11am to 4pm, and they’re absolutely free for members.
WORKSHOP DIARY 2019
Writing for Film with Dave Gilbank & Paul Renhard
Saturday 28th September at Northern Film School, 11am - 4pm
Hot on the heels of their award-winning film Polterheist, screenwriting team Dave and Paul already have not one but three new film projects in the pipeline, so we're thrilled they've both agreed to take time out of their busy schedules to teach us what it takes to write a killer script for a cult movie.
Dave and Paul will be confirming nearer the time what they'll be covering in the workshop. So stay tuned, it's bound to be fun!
Booking opens on Saturday 14th September at 8am.
Email email@example.com to request a place.
HOW TO BOOK
- Numbers are limited to 18 writers per workshop.
- To apply, you must be a current paid-up member of Script Yorkshire.
- The booking window opens at 8am on the Saturday two weeks before the workshop date.
- We take bookings on a first come, first served basis via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our workshop co-ordinator sends out a group confirmation email to writers early the following week.
- If the workshop is full, we'll add you to the waiting list and let you know if someone drops out.
- If you're allocated a place and discover you can no longer attend, please let us know ASAP so another writer has the chance to come along.
It’s very important that our workshops are events at which people feel safe and included and can share their work without prejudice, regardless of their age, race or gender.
We ask that our members always show respect to each other in a mutually constructive and supportive way.
Not a member yet? Ready to join us? Sign up now.
26 January: Getting Started with Lisa Holdsworth and Alison Hume
23 February: Bums on Seats with Lisa Holdsworth
6 April: Redrafting with Amanda Whittington
27 January: Creative Kickstart with Ola Animashawun
10 February: Horror Writing Workshop with James Moran
17 February: Scriptwriting Essentials 1 with Lisa Holdsworth and Alison Hume
17 March: Scriptwriting Essentials 2 with Lisa Holdsworth and Alison Hume
28 April: Thriller Writing with David Allinson
26 May: Plays That Kick Ass with Ola Animashawun
16 June: How to Write for Radio Drama Q&A – Chris Reason, Gary Brown, Kamal Kaan, Everal Walsh
15 September: Using Historical Research in Story-driven Drama with Ciaran Bermingham
3 November: Writing Radio-ready Drama with Stefan Escreet
18 March: Writing for Film with Jimmy Richards
27 May: Script Editing Workshop with Alison Hume
8 July: Adaptation Workshop with Martin Jameson
23 September: Writing for TV with Ian Kershaw and Debbie Oates
11 November: Writing Comedy Workshop with Toby Hadoke
16 January: Creative Workout with Emma Adams
13 February: Producing New Writing with John Tomlinson
7 May: Writing for Radio Drama with Chris Reason
16 July: How to Get Ideas from Absolutely Anywhere with Dan Bye
10 September: Ways to Use Autobiographical Material in Creating Drama with Matt Miller
5 November: Creating Drama from Original Sources with Vanessa Rosenthal
26 November: AGM/Writing and Producing TV Q&A/Christmas social