It's our anniversary! Yes, 2019 is Script Yorkshire's 30th year supporting writers in the region. Rather than have a celebratory blowout with booze and balloons, we've decided to do something much more fun. Drum roll, please, it's...
The Script Yorkshire radio drama competition
This is your chance to have a radio script produced - both for posterity and for shameless self-promotion. Scroll on down for all the juicy details and full info on how to enter!
Introducing the producers
After our radio drama workshop back in November, we received such fantastic feedback we knew we had to bring BBC radio producer Stefan Escreet back for more!
This time, he's going to cast, direct and produce the winning entries in our 30th anniversary radio drama competition.
We're also thrilled to have another BBC producer on board - Home Front's Ciaran Bermingham, who will be reading and shortlisting the scripts, and providing entrants with feedback.
Six finalists will be chosen and their radio plays will be recorded and published on our website, and MP3s sent to the writers.
RADIO PRODUCER STEFAN ESCREET
Write a 5-minute radio script with:
- An exciting, original story
- Cracking characterisation
- Crisp dialogue
- A strong feel for the audio medium
- A command of short-form writing
- No more than four characters
- We’ll have four professional actors: two male, two female, older and younger of each.
- We’re recording on location at Northern Ballet, so scenes in rooms, stairwells, corridors, balcony and street are possible.
- Think about the possibilities open to you that you don't have in writing for theatre or film.
- Listen to a cross section of radio plays and also look at radio drama scripts on the BBC Writers Room.
1st May 2019
Six winners will be chosen by the end of June.
The plays will be recorded in September.
Submitting your entry
Submissions will be anonymised before being sent to Ciaran. Please DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ANYWHERE ON YOUR SCRIPT. Simply make the subject line of your entry email as follows:
[Play Title] by [Your Name].
Send your entry to: email@example.com
You must be a current member of Script Yorkshire to enter.